GALLERY DIRECTORS TEAM WANTED
Applications due November 21, 2017
About the Role
Please note that this is a voluntary position.
Mailbox Art Space is looking to appoint a new team of directors from 2018.
We would like to see a team of two or more people with passion, ambition, drive, and a strong curatorial focus to take on this unique art space. Due to the scope of gallery operations, individual applicants will not be considered. It is preferred that applicants be willing to take on this role for a minimum of two years.
Gallery or curatorial experience is preferred, and it is recommended that applicants hold basic graphic design skills.
The team will be responsible for maintaining all aspects of the gallery, including:
- Programming and/or curating exhibitions
- Editing and proof-reading artist statements, room notes, and catalogues
- Marketing, communications and promotion of exhibitions via social media and mail-outs (Facebook, Instagram, MailChimp etc.)
- Facilitating exhibition openings
- Liaising with the owners of the building to ensure the space runs smoothly
- Gallery administration
- Gallery maintenance and working in a heritage space
- Updating website and other online listings
- Photography/documentation of exhibitions for gallery archive
Successful applicants will work with the current directors to receive training before full responsibility for the space is handed over in March 2018.
About the Gallery:
Mailbox Art Space (formerly Mailbox 141) is an alternative public art space that supports artistic experimentation and the exhibition of new work. Located in the heart of Melbourne’s Flinders Lane arts precinct, artists are invited to create site-specific work for a series of restored mailboxes and the surrounding area of the historic Pawson House heritage building.
Mailbox Art Space was established approximately 9 years ago by Shanley McBurney and Martina Copley. From 2013-2015 it was directed by Danielle Hakim and Estelle Joannou. Since 2016 the space has been directed by Sigourney Jacks, Andrée Ruggeri and Jake Treacy.
Mailbox Art Space is supported by and operates in collaboration with 141-143 Flinders Lane.
How to apply:
Please submit the following in PDF format:
- A short 1 page CV (per applicant) with relevant gallery and curatorial experience.
- A short 1 page statement about yourself and your plan for the gallery, including proposed exhibitions, artists, festivals, and a vision for Mailbox Art Space in 2018 and beyond.
Email your applications addressing the above to email@example.com with the subject heading 'Directors application-(your name)'
Applications are due by Tuesday November 21, 2017.