APPLICATIONS FOR 2017 NOW CLOSED
Call-out for 2018 applications to exhibit at Mailbox will open late in 2017
For more information subscribe to our mailing list mailboxartspace.com.au/subscribe/
Applications should include:
1. Applicant contact details, preferred exhibition month/s, brief biography/introduction.
We encourage all applicants to consider the broader cultural calendar of Melbourne and beyond with the potential of their exhibition to participate in a festival or event. Furthermore a visit to the space is essential if possible, as Mailbox offers a one of a kind, non-conventional exhibiting platform.
2. Project Description (500 words max.)
Describe the work you intend to exhibit, working exhibition title and description of mediums, along with a short text about your practice. Describe in detail which aspect/s of the space you will be using, and how you will use it. Again, we strongly encourage you to visit the space before applying.
3. CV for each applicant/exhibitor along with websites if available.
4. Supporting material:
- Maximum 10 images / audio files / video files
- Supporting material list including title, year, and medium of each work.
- Indicate if supporting material to be exhibited or indicative of practice.
Information for Applicants
· Experimental and/or conceptual approaches that engage with the space surrounding the mailboxes are encouraged – please take the time to
browse through our exhibition archive.
· There is limited access to power points - if you have a creative idea for showing video/sound work, we are happy to discuss this with you further.
· There is no charge to exhibit at Mailbox Art Space. Any enquiries regarding the sale of artwork are directed to the artist, via Mailbox, with no
· Exhibiting artists are provided with:
- A month-long exhibition, including a three-day installation and two-day de-installation period
- An opening night event including free drinks
- Exhibition promotion including a Facebook event and regular Instagram posts, emailed invitations to the opening via our mailing list
- A blog post on our website (in collaboration with exhibitor)
· Mailbox Art Space takes no responsibility for damage to or theft of the artist’s work or property held in the space. Each mailbox is locked with a key
however the space is open to the public Monday to Friday 9am-5.30pm, Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday 11am-4pm.
About the Space
The main exhibition space is a set of nineteen heritage mailboxes set against the foyer wall of Pawson House, each fitted with glass-fronted doors and LED lights. The surrounding space encompasses the building foyer, stairwell, building façade (including windows), and elevator.
Dimensions of the Space
Glass front windows:
Boxes 1 – 17: 16.7cm H x 6.4cm W
Boxes 18, 19: 13.6 H x 6.3cm W
Mailbox Interior Measurements:
Note: These measurements are approximate, as each box varies slightly. It is recommended that artists visit the space prior to applying
H x W x D cm boxes 1-19 (with doors closed) left-right
1. 29.7 x 12.7 x 9 - LED power converter in this box – 2D items recommended
2. 29.7 x 12.7 x 8.7
3. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
4. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.6
5. 29.5 x 12.6 x 8.7
6. 29.5 x 13 x 8.7
7. 29.5 x 12.6 x 8.7
8. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
9. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
10. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
11. 29.5 x 12.6 x 8.7
12. 29.5 x 13 x 8.7
13. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
14. 29.5 x 12.8 x 8.7
15. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
16. 29.5 x 12.6 x 8.7
17. 29.5 x 12 x 9.6
18. 31 x 12.3 x 9.6
19. 31.3 x 12.5 x 9.6
LED globes hang down approx. 6cm and can get hot, so it is suggested to work to a height of approx. 23cm or less.