Applications should include:
1. Applicant contact details, preferred exhibition month/s, brief biography/introduction.
We encourage all applicants to consider the broader cultural calendar of Melbourne and beyond with the potential of their exhibition to participate in a festival or event. Furthermore a visit to the space is essential if possible, as Mailbox offers a one of a kind, non-conventional exhibiting platform.
2. Project Description (500 words max.)
Describe the work you intend to exhibit, working exhibition title and description of mediums, along with a short text about your practice. Describe in detail which aspect/s of the space you will be using, and how you will use it. Again, we strongly encourage you to visit the space before applying. Please clearly outline how your practice will translate to the unique size of Mailbox.
3. CV for each applicant/exhibitor along with websites if available.
4. Supporting material:
- Maximum 10 images / audio files / video files
- Supporting material list including title, year, and medium of each work.
- Indicate if supporting material to be exhibited or indicative of practice.
Please email applications as a single pdf to email@example.com by 11:59pm 28 May. Please include images in the pdf, or provide links to audio/video works.
If you would like to discuss your application before the due date, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Information for Applicants
· Experimental and/or conceptual approaches that engage with the space surrounding the mailboxes are encouraged – please take the time to
browse through our exhibition archive.
· There is limited access to power points - if you have a creative idea for showing video/sound work, we are happy to discuss this with you further.
· There is no charge to exhibit at Mailbox Art Space. Any enquiries regarding the sale of artwork are directed to the artist, via Mailbox, with no
· Exhibiting artists are provided with:
- A month-long exhibition, including a three-day installation and two-day de-installation period
- An opening night event including free drinks
- Exhibition promotion including a Facebook event and regular Instagram posts, emailed invitations to the opening via our mailing list
- A blog post on our website (in collaboration with exhibitor)
· Mailbox Art Space takes no responsibility for damage to or theft of the artist’s work or property held in the space. Each mailbox is locked with a key
however the space is open to the public Monday to Friday 10am-5.30pm, Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday 11am-4pm.
About the Space
The main exhibition space is a set of nineteen heritage mailboxes set against the foyer wall of Pawson House, each fitted with glass-fronted doors and LED lights. The surrounding space encompasses the building foyer, stairwell, building façade (including windows), and elevator.
Dimensions of the Space
These measurements are approximate, as each box varies slightly.
It is recommended that artists visit the space prior to applying.
Glass front windows:
Boxes 1 – 17: 16.7cm H x 6.4cm W
Boxes 18, 19: 13.6 H x 6.3cm W
Mailbox Interior Measurements:
H x W x D cm boxes 1-19 (with doors closed) left-right
1. 29.7 x 12.7 x 9 - LED power converter in this box – 2D items recommended
2. 29.7 x 12.7 x 8.7
3. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
4. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.6
5. 29.5 x 12.6 x 8.7
6. 29.5 x 13 x 8.7
7. 29.5 x 12.6 x 8.7
8. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
9. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
10. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
11. 29.5 x 12.6 x 8.7
12. 29.5 x 13 x 8.7
13. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
14. 29.5 x 12.8 x 8.7
15. 29.5 x 12.7 x 8.7
16. 29.5 x 12.6 x 8.7
17. 29.5 x 12 x 9.6
18. 31 x 12.3 x 9.6
19. 31.3 x 12.5 x 9.6
LED globes hang down approx. 6cm and can get hot, so it is suggested to work to a height of approx. 23cm or less.